Late last month Hyundai revealed the U.S. specs on the 2022 IONIQ 5 that will be available this fall, with a larger rollout coming in 2022. While closely related to the Kia EV6, they are very different crossover EV’s.
Hyundai is going with one battery (77.4kWh) for all its models and offering RWD or AWD across its line-up. Kia went down a different path and offers a smaller 58kWh battery pack on its base model and a GT variant that gets 577 hp / 546 lb-ft of torque and a 0-100 km/h (0 to 62 mph) time of 3.5 seconds!
Here’s what we know about the IONIQ 5….
- Available in both rear-wheel-drive (one electric motor) and all-wheel-drive (two electric motors)
- Both powered by a 77.4 kWh battery pack
- The RWD is rated at 225 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque
- The dual-motor AWD version has 320 horsepower and 446 pound-feet of torque
- The AWD IONIQ 5 will do 0-60 in under five seconds
- All IONIQ 5 models can tow up to 1,500 pounds
Range – As is the case with all EV’s, range varies depending on drive configuration and trim levels
- The single-motor RWD is expected to travel up to 482 kms (300 miles) on a single charge
- Dual-motor SE and SEL trims are targeted to travel 432 kms (269 miles), while the
- Limited AWD models will go up to 393 kms (244 miles) on a charge
- The IONIQ 5 (and Kia EV6) is capable of both 400 and 800-volt charging – VERY impressive!
- It can go from a 10 to 80 % state of charge in just 18 minutes – using a 350 kW charger
- It can add around 109 kms (68 miles) of range in just five minutes.
- Using the standard Level 2 / 10.9 kW charger, you can fully charge the IONIQ 5 in 6 hours, 43 minutes
Similar to the Ford F-150 Lightning, the IONIQ 5 (and EV6) have a V2L feature, which allows owners to use the vehicle to charge all sorts of electronic devices – including other EVs.
Hyundai points out that the IONIQ 5 has more passenger volume (106.5 cu-ft), than both the Mach-E (101.1) and Volkswagen ID.4 (99.9).
Copyright © 2021 by Iain Shankland. All rights reserved.
Text: Iain Shankland / Images: Hyundai