LOS ANGELES, November 28, 2018 – Kia Motors America (KMA) introduced the 2020 Soul, a completely new version of Kia’s beloved, award-winning and unconventional compact utility vehicle. In conjunction with that world-debut, the all-electric, battery-powered Soul EV was also unveiled. Just as quirky, fun-loving and crowd-pleasing, the Soul EV provides the opportunity for lovers of the Soul to drive without ever stopping for gas.
A Much Better Battery
The new Soul EV has a new state-of-the-art liquid-cooled lithium ion polymer 64 kWh battery which is expected to mean much less need for daily charging, and with Combined Charging System (CCS) DC fast-charge2 as standard equipment, battery refills should be brief so road trip fun can happily continue after only a short break.
The new battery is currently being tested to ascertain precise EPA-estimated range. Results are expected early in 2019 and will be announced at a later date.
Driving Dynamics – The Soul EV is More Fun Than Ever
The Soul EV has always provided a bit of a magic carpet ride, whisking along silently with seemingly effortless pull. Now, with 201 horsepower and 291 lb.-ft. of torque (way up from 210 lb.-ft. in the outgoing model), drivers will feel like a virtual Aladdin. Handling and driving dynamics are also much improved, thanks to the addition of independent rear suspension. The new Soul EV also provides plenty of tools for drivers to customize their driving experience and their battery usage, including:
- Four drive modes – Eco, Comfort, Sport and Eco+ – that automatically adjust power output to the traction motor, regenerative braking, air conditioning and heating settings, and set speed limits to help manage operating efficiency depending on driving conditions
- Smart regenerative braking operated via paddle shifters provides drivers the ability to slow the car and capture kinetic energy, adding extra range. Drivers can choose from four regen braking levels (0 to 3) depending on desired driving smoothness, enjoyment and efficiency
- Brake and Hold System feature allows regen paddle shifter to bring the car to a full stop
- Smart Regen System adjusts the regenerative braking level based on a vehicle being detected in front of the Soul EV and creates smoother coast-down driving, especially when descending a steep road
- Smart Eco Pedal Guide display on the instrument cluster keeps the driver aware of real-time battery usage based on accelerator pedal input
Technology Befitting a Thoroughly Modern Vehicle
The Soul EV comes equipped with a long list of state-of-the-art features to help enhance safety, improve the driving experience and provide ease of operation and ownership. Kia engineers and designers have thought of everything. Every Soul EV includes a suite of “Kia Drive Wise” Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems, and a long list of standard and optional equipment, highlights of which are listed below.
- High-tech rotary shifter (shift-by-wire)
- 25-inch color touchscreen6 with rear view monitor and parking guidance
- 6-speaker audio system (AM/FM/SiriusXM)8 with USB input
- Steering wheel-mounted audio controls
- Apple CarPlay9 and Android Auto10
- Bluetooth11 wireless connectivity with voice recognition
- 7 airbags12 (dual front advanced air bags, dual front seat-mounted side air bags, side curtain air bags with rollover sensor, driver’s side knee air bag)
- Antilock braking
- Traction control
- Electronic stability control
- Hill-start assist control
- Tire pressure monitoring system
- Pedestrian warning system
“Kia Drive Wise” Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems (ADAS)
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA)
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA)
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW)
- Smart Cruise Control with Stop & Go
- Blind Spot Collision Warning (BSW) (available)
- Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Warning (available)
- Parking Distance Warning – Reverse only (available)
- Notifications of battery and charging status
- Real-time charging station update
- Scheduled charging
- Panic notifications – the vehicle will send a notification to the server if the panic alarm is triggered and the system dials 911 emergency services, provides the car position via GPS, and opens a live microphone so that emergency workers can communicate with the vehicle occupants
- “Send2Car” points of interest (POI) and waypoints — owners will be able to plan a road trip with waypoints and send it to the vehicles’ navigation system
Made in Korea and One Soul with a Whole Lot More
Built at the Gwangju plant in Korea, the Soul EV is expected to go on sale next year. Pricing will be announced closer to the on-sale date.
Buyers can choose from two trims, the Soul EV and the Soul EV Designer Collection.
The Designer Collection model gets all the Soul EV goodies, plus a whole lot more, including:
- Two-tone paint: Gravity Grey with a Platinum Gold roof; Cherry Black with an Inferno Red roof; and Neptune Blue with a Cherry Black roof
- Power-folding gloss-black heated, power-adjustable outside mirrors with signal repeater
- 10-speaker Harman/Kardon17 premium audio with external amplifier
- Wireless phone charger18
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Heated front seats with SofinoÒ premium non-animal seating upholstery
- Auto-dimming rear view mirror
Copyright © 2018 by Iain Shankland. All rights reserved.
Follow us on:
(Instagram content will NOT be repeated on Facebook or Twitter – all the content will be unique and of course, in picture form)
This original, copyrighted material may NOT be copied, used in whole or in part in any way, cut and pasted, published or otherwise reproduced in any form or in any medium – which means DO NOT POST THIS ON ANOTHER WEBSITE or BLOG. If you want somebody else to see this, please send them a link or post a link to this page.