If you read my previous road test with a Jaguar – the XF (here) you’ll know how much the brand has been ingrained in my past. This time I had the opportunity to drive the biggest Jag of all – the 2015 Jaguar XJ L … not just a regular XJ, but the long version, the “Royalty Version” if you will. This car isn’t just long – its loooong! Yet surprisingly it drives like a much smaller car – like the XF. You never realize how big it is until you get out and look at it parked beside a regular-sized car.
- Premium large luxury sedan
- This is the car Prime Ministers and royalty run about in
How Does It Look?
- Elegant, understated but still outstandingly Jaguar
- Many people did a double-take when they saw it – obviously very impressive
- Not one, but two moon roofs
- The fully digital dash is beautiful to look at and just oozes class
- Driver’s position is absolutely perfect. The steering wheel is the perfect size and can be electronically adjusted to the perfect position for the driver
- The seats as you’d expect were outstandingly comfortable – front and rear.
- Power 20/20-way front seats include three-person memory
- Multi-way lumbar adjustment – height as well as inflation, plus the bonus of massage back as well
- Heated and cooled seats for front AND rear passengers
- The Long wheelbase model adds more than 5 inches of extra legroom in the rear
- The rear passengers are treated to their own individual temperature controls (left and right)
- For extra rear-seat comfort and privacy, manual side-window sunblinds can be raised.
So How Quick Is It & How Does It Handle?
- Very quick, in fact scary quick when you stomp on the go pedal at 80 km/h and you immediately look at the speedometer to see you’re already travelling over 140km/h – that quickly!!
- Switching the “S” driving mode doesn’t seem to make any difference – until you set the car up in the Dynamic mode (push button with flag).
- Switch to Dynamic mode and then the XJ become a different cat… The dash turns red and the paddle shift is the only way to control the gears – no automatic up-shift even at the red line. The vehicle’s response is to involve the driver more – there is no waiting – push the gas pedal and off you go – like a Jaguar chasing a meal. It takes a lot of willpower to refrain from driving at double the speed limit everywhere you go – seriously!
- Steering input is perfect – perfectly weighted and instantly responsive
Torque: 332 @ 3,500-5,000
Top Speed [Limited]: 195 kph // 121 mph
0 – 60 mph: 5.7 // 0-100 kph: 6.4 seconds
Noteworthy Standard Features
- Rear view Camera
- Power everything
- HID Headlamps move, LED tail lamps
- Smart key w/Push button start
- Heated and cooled front seats & heated rear seats
- Beautiful leather and wood steering wheel that you just don’t want to let go
- JaguarDrive: Winter Mode (selects 2nd gear when pulling away) and Dynamic Mode (High Performance driving dynamics – removes the automatic up-shift in “S” mode)
- Blind Spot Monitoring
- “Jet Headlining”
- Meridian Sound System – Simply the best system you’re ever likely to hear in a car
- Wood/Leather Steering wheel
What Does It Cost?
The Jaguar XJL PORTFOLIO AWD comes with a 3.0L Supercharged V6 engine, a ZF 8-speed automatic transmission with Intelligent Stop/Start.
Base Price Canada: $96,490
Base Price U.S.: $83,200
For up-to-date pricing and options in your region visit: www.jaguar.ca or www.jaguarusa.com
- Fuel economy was better than expected. I averaged 10.8L/100 km with a fairly heavy right foot
- (L/100 km) is rated at: City -14.7/ Highway – 6.6 / combined -12.5
- U.S. (MPG) is rated at: City – 16 / Highway – 24 / combined – 19
Audi A7, BMW 7 Series, Mercedes-Benz S Series, Lexus LS460
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
- The Good: Everything. The Bad: Nothing. The Ugly: The look on the wife’s face when you tell her you’re in love with something else
- Everything from the perfectly comfortable seat, the phenomenal audio system, superb cornering, braking and speed makes the 2015 Jaguar XJ THE car you would never want to trade in and never be bored behind the wheel
- Unfortunately, I’ll never be able to afford one and trust me, I really would want to own one
What’s The Verdict?
One word: AWESOME. As big as it is – it feels light, nimble and agile… just like a jaguar
Sell your firstborn and buy a 2015 Jaguar XJ (regular or L) – you’ll never regret it. Hang on… the all-new 2016 is coming soon – watch this space for a test drive!
Copyright © 2015 by Iain Shankland
Text & Images: Iain Shankland
Also Published at: