August 13, 2014 , Windsor, Ontario – Dodge is upping its high-performance game again with the unveiling of the new 2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat.
The new Charger SRT Hellcat will feature the supercharged 6.2-litre HEMI® Hellcat V8 engine that produces 707 horsepower and 650 lb.-ft. of torque – making it the quickest, fastest, most powerful production sedan in the world, as well as the most capable and technologically advanced four-door muscle car in North America.
- With 707 horsepower, an NHRA-certified quarter mile (402 metres) elapsed time of 11.0 seconds on street tires and a top speed of 328 km/h, the world’s only four-door muscle car is the quickest, fastest and most powerful sedan ever
- Supercharged 6.2-litre HEMI®Hellcat engine produces 707 horsepower and 650 lb.-ft. of torque
- Quarter mile (402 m) elapsed time in 11.0 seconds on street tires, 0-160-0 km/h in under 13 seconds and a top speed of 328 km/h
- Dodge and SRT designers re-sculpt and refined nearly every body panel with functional performance cues, including heat extractors in the hood, unique front and rear fascias and dramatic LED lighting in both front and rear
- 8-speed automatic transmission – delivering fuel-efficient street driving & maximum track performance with 160 millisecond shifts with rev-matching
- 4-inch Brembo two-piece rotors with six-piston calipers, 20 x 9.5-inch wide forged aluminum wheels with Pirelli P Zero performance tires, adaptive damping three-mode suspension and three-mode, heavy-duty eight-speed automatic transmission
- New SRT Performance Pages allow drivers to tailor the driving experience by controlling horsepower, transmission shift speeds, paddle shifters, traction and suspension
- Two key fobs – one black that limits power and one red that unlocks all 707 horsepower
- New interior design elements, including SRT three-spoke, flat-bottom steering wheel, 7-inch reconfigurable digital gauge cluster, 8.4-inch multimedia centre with touchscreen, Nappa leather and Alcantara suede seating
Awe-inspiring powertrain; largest brakes ever offered in a Chrysler Group vehicle
The new 2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat is powered by the new supercharged 6.2-litre HEMI V8 engine. Its 707 horsepower matches the highest rating of any V8 engine in Chrysler Group’s celebrated history – that of the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat.
The all-new supercharged V8 engine is mated to the beefy new TorqueFlite 8HP90 eight-speed automatic transmission.
This new Hellcat engine is Dodge and SRT’s first application of V8 supercharger technology, featuring a forged-steel crankshaft with induction-hardened bearing surfaces. The result is a crank so well-engineered it can withstand firing pressures of 110 bar (1,595 psi) – the equivalent of five family sedans standing on each piston. And its unique, specially tuned crank damper has been tested to 13,000 rpm.
The supercharged 6.2-litre HEMI V8 has premium-grade, heat-treated aluminum-alloy cylinder heads, which are optimized for superior thermal conductivity. And its die-cast aluminum rocker covers are HEMI Orange.
Standard on the Charger SRT Hellcat is the largest front-brake package ever offered in a Chrysler Group vehicle, which were first introduced on the 2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat, featuring all-new 390-mm (15.4-inch) Brembo two-piece rotors with six-piston calipers for outstanding heat management and thermal capacity and longevity.
The unrivalled four-door performance numbers tell an impressive story with the quarter-mile (402 m) in 11.0 seconds, 0-160-0 km/h (100 mph) in under 13 seconds, and a top speed of 328 km/h (204 mph).
All-new Drive Modes tailor the driving experience to each individual driver
Whether its on-road or on-track, Charger SRT Hellcat owners can personalize their drive experience, via the all-new Drive Modes feature. Drive Modes tailor the driving experience by controlling horsepower, transmission shift speeds, paddle shifters, traction and suspension. Drive Modes are pre-configured for Sport, Track and Default settings, while the Custom setting lets the driver customize the drive experience to their favourite settings.
- Custom — Allows the driver to personalize the vehicle’s performance
- Sport — Delivers increased vehicle performance capability over the Default Mode
- Track — Delivers maximum vehicle performance capability on smooth, dry surfaces
- Default — Activates automatically when starting the vehicle
- Eco — Maximizes fuel economy with a revised shift schedule, pedal map and second-gear starts
The Drive Modes feature is controlled through the Uconnect® system and may be accessed by performing any of the following:
- Pushing the SRT button on the instrument panel switch bank
- Selecting “Drive Modes” from the “SRT & Apps” menu
- Selecting “Drive Modes” from within the Performance Pages menu
Unlocking the power
The all-new 2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat comes standard with two key fobs – red and black. The red key fob is the only key that can unlock the full horsepower and torque potential of the SRT Hellcat engine; while the black key fob limits the driver to a reduced engine output.
When Valet Mode is activated, the following vehicle configurations are enabled:
- Engine is remapped to significantly reduce horsepower and torque; limited to 4,000 rpm
- Transmission locks out access to first gear and upshifts earlier than normal
- Transmission will treat the manual shifter position the same as the drive position
- Traction, steering and suspension are set to their “Street” settings
- Steering-wheel paddle shifters are disabled
- Drive Mode functions are disabled
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) is enabled to Full-on
- Launch Control is disabled
The driver can activate and deactivate Valet Mode with a four-digit PIN code they create.
Sinister, functional exterior design
Inspired by its performance-enthusiast roots when Charger first launched more than 45 years ago, the new Charger successfully pays homage to past muscle cars while offering distinctly modern all-new exterior and interior appointments.
The Dodge and SRT design team builds upon the 2015 Dodge Charger’s new modern four-door fastback coupe’s already iconic exterior styling by adding a sinister-looking, unique front fascia, hood, rear fascia and spoiler.
The new exterior of the 2015 Dodge Charger is spiritually inspired by the iconic second-generation Charger from the late 1960s, and for 2015, specifically draws its cues from the 1969 model. With its rear-wheel-drive (RWD) platform and proven power, the Charger’s modern take on old-school muscle is sure to resonate with today’s enthusiasts.
Up front, the Charger SRT Hellcat receives the larger, power-bulge aluminum hood, which features a dedicated “cold-air” intake – a visual styling cue from the first Viper coupe built in 1996 – and dual air extractors to ensure effective removal of heat and reduced air turbulence in the engine compartment.
The redesigned front fascia and grille use unique, blacked out upper and lower textures to produce the menacing look that is sure to make onlookers notice the ultimate performance sedan.
An integrated front splitter optimizes airflow to the cooling modules without compromising vehicle balance.
Filling the wheel wells are “Slingshot” split-seven spoke 20 x 9.5-inch, lightweight forged-aluminum wheels with either standard Matte Black or available Brass Monkey/dark bronze finishes.
Two new 275/40ZR20 Pirelli P Zero tires provide performance for all seasons. Both Pirelli P Zero Nero and P Zero tires are Y-Plus rated to handle the extreme speeds the Charger SRT Hellcat is capable of producing.
At the rear, a single piece decklid spoiler is painted in body colour while the unique fascia and valence showcase the 4-inch round dual exhaust tips.
The Dodge Charger SRT’s signature “racetrack” LED tail lamps take on the same continuous glowing ribbon of light that debuted on the new 2014 Dodge Durango. The centre high-mounted stop lamp (CHMSL) is relocated from the top of the decklid to the roofline inside the back glass, allowing centring of the Charger SRT’s backup camera.
The rear styling makeover begins at the touchdown point of the C-pillar, which is moved rearward to create an even more pronounced fastback appearance combined with a shorter rear overhang.
High-performance driver-oriented interior
The 2015 Charger SRT Hellcat’s restyled driver-focused interior features premium, soft-touch materials, a new 7-inch customizable digital instrument gauge cluster and a new instrument panel centre stack with the latest generation 8.4-inch Uconnect touchscreen multimedia centre.
New for 2015, drivers can select one of the many offered backgrounds to connect the digital look and feel with their chosen interior package. In addition, the Charger SRT Hellcat comes standard with a premium 900 watt, 18-speaker Harmon Kardon audio system.
An all-new and class-exclusive electronic shifter with an all-new driver-oriented T-handle provides the driver with intuitive gear selection and offers an Auto Stick selector gate for added control.
A redesigned SRT-branded heated steering wheel features a flat bottom and thick rim for the high-performance driver. Standard paddle shifters are located on the back of the upper spokes. The buttons to control the driver-configurable, full-colour customizable in-cluster display are large and illuminated. Buttons for Uconnect and phone access now reside along the bottom edge of the horizontal spokes. Optional adaptive cruise control is configured by buttons that are symmetrically opposite on the right-hand side of the wheel. As before, the highly praised audio controls are still found on the back of the upper spokes. This new power tilt-telescoping steering wheel also has a 360-degree heat element.
The new 2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat features redesigned seats with improved cushioning and comfortable contours. For improved comfort and convenience, the SRT Hellcat includes standard heated and ventilated front high-performance seats and heated rear seats.
Copyright © 2014 by Iain Shankland. All rights reserved.
Text / Images:Dodge
Pingback: Meet the world’s fastest four-door carBig Online News | Big Online News